2021-06-03, 17:00–17:30 (Europe/Paris), Secondary Room
Learn to leverage cloud native tools and launch a scalable Python and Django application into the Cloud with Fargate. We’ll dive in with how to getting up and running fast, but leaving the overhead of managing virtual machines and Kubernetes behind. Create and store the application Docker images in a container repository and without touching the AWS console we can create fully Infrastructure as Code automated deployments via CodePipeline into Fargate containers and S3 buckets. Deliver the React application via CloudFront and S3 for full global scalability. Leave the legacy deployments behind and forge bravely into the new world of Cloud Native applications.
- Intro to Cloud Native deployment — 10%
- Hitchhikers Guide to Cloud Native vocabulary
- Laying the groundwork for going Cloud Native — 10%
- Containerizing your app
- Preparing your image for production
- Building the pipeline — 20%
- Sketching out your infrastructure
- Moving to Terraform
- Creating a CI/CD workflow
- Playing with Building Blocks — 20%
- Leveraging AWS Cloud Components for Delivery
- Using Environment Variables and keeping Secrets
- Scaling Considerations, Load Balancers and CDNs — 20%
- Many routes behind one URL
- Enable effective caching
- Keep things on a need to know basis (only pass what you need)
- Load Testing — 10%
- Build test plans with Locust.io (Python powered!)
- Testing and debugging load tests with remote PDB
- Conclusion — 10%
Sponsored by Loudswarm
Calvin Hendryx-Parker is the co-founder and CTO of Six Feet Up, a software company that helps organizations build apps faster, innovate with AI, simplify Big Data, and leverage Cloud technology. At Six Feet Up, Calvin establishes the company's technical vision and leads all aspects of the company's technology development. He provides the strategic vision for enhancing the offerings of the company and infrastructure, and works with the team to set company priorities and implement processes that will help improve product and service development. Calvin is the driving force behind LoudSwarm, a high impact virtual event platform that debuted in June 2020.
Calvin is the co-founder of the Python user group IndyPy, the largest tech meetup in Indiana with 1,900+ members. In 2017, he also founded IndyAWS, now the fastest growing cloud meetup in the state with 800+ members. In 2019, he got recognized as an AWS Community Hero by AWS experts.
Outside of work, Calvin spends time tinkering with new devices like the AWS DeepRacer, CircuitPython and Raspberry Pi. Calvin is an avid distance runner and ran the 2014 NYC Marathon to support the Innocence Project. Before the pandemic, he and the family have enjoyed an annual extended trip to France where his wife Gabrielle, the CEO of Six Feet Up, is from. Calvin holds a Bachelor of Science from Purdue University.